Dachshunds & Kitty Catch A Hawk


This is a story about my mean Dachshunds and their sidekick Kitty tricking a hawk.

A Red Tailed Hawk has been circling our farm all summer.
I suppose the delicious looking chickens are on his want list for dinner. 
And we are missing one of two young barn cats.
Well this morning, the hawk swooped down and tried to pick up one of my mini Dachshunds! But Lucas and Josie (2 of our dachshunds) turned the tables on that hawk and brought him down.
I ran out to save the doggies, only to end up saving the hawk from the killer Wiener dogs.
In case you didn’t know, Wiener dogs are not fluffy sissy lap dogs, although they love to snuggle. They are classified in the Hound Group by American Kennel Club (AKC).

So no matter how much I spoil and pamper these Dachshunds, dress them up in silly clothes, bath them, take them to the groomer, it does not change their nature.
All they want to do is track something down with those powerful sniffers of theirs and kill it.
If only the hawk had known that!

Our mean Josie as a Bumblebee
These are pretty smart dogs and maybe, just maybe, the Doxies got tired of the hawk swooping down every day, harassing them.
And maybe, just maybe they devised a plan.
A super secret plan, to lure the unsuspecting hawk down low enough to pounce on him.
The young kitten may have been involved. Our barn kitten named "Baby Sister" was there when I ran outside, and she did not appear afraid.
Not at all, I even have a cell photo of "Baby Sister laying near the hawk, cleaning herself.  Well, bringing down a big old scary hawk is hard work!

The  Hawk appears to be stunned and not sure of what the hell just happened to him.
He may possibly have an injured wing.
After calling wild life services, police departments, etc., and getting transferred numerous times, with no results, I finally called my daughter Alexis.



Because of Government cuts, budget cuts, there are not enough resources to help or send anyone out, or so the recording says when I called.
My daughter went to school for Natural Resources and Wildlife Management, so she came over to look over the hawk to make sure he will be OK. 

My daughter Alexis and the injured Hawk

She is transporting the Red Tail Hawk to a wildlife hospital.  From what I understand, he will be repaired, rehabilitated and returned and possibly be allowed to come back to our farm.
I hope that is true.  I love seeing him float over head while I'm working in the garden, such a beautiful sight to see.
I don't mind him flying again around our farm, but I don't think he will try to eat a Dachshund again.
He's was out-smarted by a cute skinny little kitten and 2 mini Dachshund once already.




I hope your summer is not quite so exciting as this, or maybe just a normal kind of exciting, like vacations or barbecuing!

Elizabeth

UPDATE:

Hawk update: I visited the Wildlife Hospital, Ohio Wildlife Center, yesterday and was told our farm hawk is on heavy doses of antibiotic and will have surgery on his wing on Thursday. It appears the poor hawk has an old injury, (someone shot him), and that injury is badly infected. Thank god it was here on our farm that he came down, so he could get the medical treated he needed. I hope he is able to recover and be returned to his home. Here's more info on Red Tail Hawks:
Raptor Center / Red Tail Hawk 
"Ohio Wildlife Center (OWC) is a leader in wildlife rehabilitation and conservation education.  They treat nearly 5,000 animals in their wildlife hospital every year and reach thousands of adults and children through education programs.  OWC is a private, non-profit organization.
They rely almost entirely on the generosity of individual and corporate donors, and private grants."
I have been to OWC, met with Carol.  My daughter met Lisa the Vet.  This is a good organization to donate to if you are willing and able.
According to their website, OWC's wildlife hospital is currently in need of the following items:
  • Large, clear pet food storage containers
  • Rubbermaid storage containers (all sizes)
  • Unsalted nuts (walnuts, almonds, holiday mixed nuts) in shells (URGENT)
  • 39-gallon (or larger) trash bags
  • HE laundry detergent (URGENT)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Large and X-large latex gloves
  • Ensure (or generic equivalent) in any flavor EXCEPT chocolate
  • Dry dog food
  • Rechargeable batteries and charger (AA and AAA)
  • PLEASE bring donations to our wildlife hospital at 2661 Billingsley Road, Columbus 43235.
The list I picked up at the wildlife hospital states they also need the following:
  • Unsalted nuts
  • Ensure
  • Dry kitten food
  • Dry Cat food (urgent)
  • Canned dog and cat food (urgent)
  • Mazuri waterfowl maintenance pellets
  • Pater towels
  • Newspapers
  • Old towels
  • Pillowcases
  • Flat Sheets
  • Laundry detergent
  • Liquid hand soap
  • 39 gallon trash bags
  • Latex gloves (urgent)
  • Tissues (urgent) storage baggies
  • Bleach
  • White copy paper
  • Toilet paper
 Wildlife Hotline:  614-793-WILD (9453)


Other Posts:

8 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! We also have a Red Tailed that lives around here. I keep a close eye on our dogs because we have small ones as well. I'm so glad that you rescued him and that he will get the TLC that he needs. They are such beautiful birds. I'm sorry that one of your barn cats have gone missing though. :(

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim:
    Have seen this hawk swoop down a few times towards our Doxies! I haven't gotten a call back yet as to the results of the surgery, so am keeping my fingers crossed he will be OK. And I agree, beautiful birds!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. Do you offer or consider guest writers to write content to suit your needs? I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome weblog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, glad you like my posts! And yes, I will or do consider guest bloggers. If you want, send me one of your writings or possible posts and a link to your web page or blog. If we are compatible I wouldn't mind an occasional guest blogger!

      Delete
  4. AnonymousMay 21, 2015

    Thanks for your marvelous story! I seriously enjoyed reading it about your dachshunds, you are a great writer. I just wanted to encourage you to keep writing stories of this kind, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it means so much to me that you found my writing to be good! Please stop back often, I could use the kind words and encouragement! Many humble thanks, Elizabeth

      Delete
  5. AnonymousJuly 09, 2015

    Do you mind if I share a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my readers would truly benefit from a lot of the information you share here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards! Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindi: Yes share my blog and thank you for doing so. Just please provide credit to me and a link back. Again thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!