Upcycled Chalkboard Signs



OK, so yeah, I'm a trash picker.  I will definitely stop along the road if there is something in someone's trash that I think I can repurpose. And that's where I picked up the kitchen cabinet drawers to make these: Vintage Display Shelves,
and where I scored the wood for these Chalkboard signs!

These chalkboard signs are actually the ends or sides of kitchen cabinets. The cabinets already had this old, flaky grayish-blue paint, which really gives them a great vintage weathered look.

But you could also use an old heavy picture frame or mirror. Heavy because you don't want the wind to blow the signs over.







All I needed to do to turn these cabinets into signs was apply the chalkboard paint and add a brace to the back to prop them up.
The results are marvelous!

What You"ll Need:
  • Chalkboard paint
  • Painter's tape or masking tape
  • Cabinet frame or large heavy picture frame.
  • 2 x 2 board for the brace
  • L bracket and drywall screws
  • Drop cloth

The sign brace
























Step One:
Add the brace or stand so the sign will stand upright.  I used a small L bracket and drywall screws so the brace can be easily removed for storage.  You could also use a hinge or build a frame around the bottom to make it stand upright. I just used what I had on hand.





Step Two:
Tape off the area you wish to paint with chalkboard paint.  Also, make sure to smooth any rough areas on the surface as best you can.

























Step Three:
Spray paint the area you wish to be the chalkboard. It may take a couple of coats of paint.

Paint with chalkboard paint


























Step Four:
Remove the tape.

You are now ready to decorate the sign for:
  • Parties 
  • Parking or directions 
  • Shops or stores
  • Craft shows 
  • Weddings 
  • Farm Markets
  • Numerous other events


The sign is finished!





































What is "upcycling"
"To reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of a higher quality or value than the original."

For our annual Halloween Party



The second one is used for a parking sign
















For our New Hive Installation party


























For a wedding, used in front of the venue
(Photo by Danielle)
























I'm not a person who has chalkboard everything in their home. 
I know, I know, it's been kind of trendy. 
So if some of the things I repurpose or create also happen to be "vogue", well then, bonus points to me.

We're enjoying the cooler weather here in Ohio and love that Fall is right around the corner!
Elizabeth


Other Posts:

Vintage Display Shelves

The Longest Yard Sale in the World

Honey Cilantro Chicken Kabobs

Maple Leaf Quilt Block









No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!