Halloween Candelabra

I have been keeping my eye out for an old brass candelabra and happen to come across one at a yard sale.
As a teenager and young adult, I loved old haunted mansion horror movies like ones starring actor Vincent Price. 
Those old movies always seemed to have a woman in a long flowing gown, descending a huge staircase at night, holding a candelabra!

I still love fall, Halloween, pumpkins, and a good scary movie.
When I came across this old brass candelabra at a sale in Michigan, it was the end of the day and they took $1.00 for it.  I knew with a facelift, it would work great for our annual fall party!


Updating the candelabra is quite simple, all you'll need is:
  • Black spray paint
  • Hanging crystals
  • A paint blanket

Old brass candle holder

First I washed the candelabra, then let it dry completely.
Next, I laid a blanket in my backyard, set the candelabra upside down on the blanket, and painted the bottom first. After letting it dry in the sun for 2 to 3 hours, I flipped it right side up.

I was going to attach the crystals last and leave them clear, but halfway through painting it, I decided to add the crystals and paint them black too.  You can leave them clear or paint them, it looks great either way. 

Half painted and adding the crystals


Crystals can be a little pricey.  I stopped at Hobby Lobby, and they just happened to have their Christmas ornaments out and I found ornaments with crystals!  The ornaments were also 50% off too, Yeah!!

After adding the crystals to the arms of the candelabra, I took it back outside to finish painting. 
I spray painted the rest of the candelabra and all the crystals, then left it to dry, 
After a couple hours, I checked it all over and touched up any areas that needed it.


Finished painting



Once the candelabra was dry I added taper candles.
I used white but you can add Halloween candles in orange or purple. 
I love the end result!  

Painting is done

The cost for a cheap plastic candelabra can run from $35 to $40.00.  
I have about $6.00 in this one, not counting the black spray paint I already had from a previous project and I also have a few crystals leftover. 

And this is a real candelabra, not a cheap plastic prop!



Our annual fall party is this coming weekend so I'm busy putting up decorations.  
Next on my to-do list is grocery shopping and cooking! 

Happy Autumn,
Elizabeth


Other Posts

Halloween Apothecary Bottles

Grand Champion Pumpkin Cake

Fall Decorated Christmas Tree

Easy Halloween Costume Ideas



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!